Real People with Real Faith in a Real World
One of our core values at St John’s is spiritual growth and this is reflected in a love of learning. People speak highly of the level of our preaching and see the dedication in our Compass Groups. From our conversations we hear that some want real depth to their study and others want to be flexible in their commitments. We are very excited about the variety of offerings again this fall.
Teaching and fellowship
“Will you continue
in the apostles’ teaching and fellowship,
in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers?”
(From our baptismal promises)
What kind of learning are you looking for?
1. Beginnings: Each monthly offering is built around opportunities to meet and chat, to discover a specific topic, and to discuss and explore.
- Men’s Supper Club – 2nd Tuesday of each month. First meeting on Tuesday September 8 at 6:30 p.m.
- Lychgate Women – 2nd Thursday of each month. First meeting on Thursday September 10 at 7:30 p.m.
2. Knowing Christ: Compass Groups meet once a week or once every two weeks, and offer time together for ongoing study of scripture or Christian writings, for socializing, and for community service projects. For fall 2015, these groups are forming:
- Monday afternoons
- Tuesday mornings
- Wednesday evenings, 2nd and 4th week of every month
3. Growing in Christ: Ten-week study groups with an apprenticeship focus, based on the books by James Bryan Smith (see An Apprenticeship Series below). Participants are expected to commit to doing readings and spiritual exercises. Tentative dates are as follows:
- Good and Beautiful God (first book) – Daytime – begins October 14
- Good and Beautiful God (first book) – Evening – begins October 14
- Good and Beautiful Life (second book) – Thursday morning–begins October 1
- Good and Beautiful Life (second book) – Wednesday evening begins September 30
For more information contact Anne+ at email@example.com.