For the leaders of Children’s Ministries: the fourth annual Children’s Ministries conference..
The Center for Excellence in Christian Education (CECE) is group of lay people and clergy in the Diocese of Toronto who are committed to promoting Christian Education and formation for children and youth. We are dedicated to providing resources and to be a focal point for networking among those who work in the Christian education community.
The CECE is excited to be hosting the fourth annual Children’s Ministry Conference. This Conference brings together people to meet others in the field, to share ideas and experiences, and to hear thoughts and wisdom from experts.
Making it Easier to Serve
Children’s Ministry Conference
For all who care about shaping children’s faith
Saturday November 1st, 2014
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
St John’s York Mills Anglican Church
Making Faith Stick!
Practices that Shape a Child’s Faith
Parents of faith want their children to have faith – is that an obvious statement? At church, the context we sometimes create for our children is the formal learning environment of our school system. But when the Bible pictures faith-building and spiritual growth it uses nurturing words like family, community, Body. It goes beyond transmission of knowledge and talks about life transformation and Christ-likeness. The teachings of Jesus and Biblical realities were not meant to be processed as information but to be experienced. If we’re a parent or a Sunday School teacher, what can we do to help shape a child’s faith and make it stick?
1. Faith formation gives children the chance to encounter God for themselves
2. Faith formation creates the chance for children and their parents to learn together
3. Faith formation provides opportunity for children to live their faith and participate in the ministries and activities of the congregation.
Janie Robertson’s experience as an educator and M.Div. studies at Tyndale Seminary have shaped her thinking about children and faith. She has a practical, real-life bent in her seminars and workshops. You are promised something that will make a difference in your ministry and your care of children the very next time you’re together.
A number of workshops are scheduled so that attendees can dive deeper into specific topics:
- Yau-Man Siew: A Biblical Theology for Christian Education & implications for Children’s Ministry
- Elizabeth Achimah: Who are the people in your neighbourhood?
- Brian Suggs and Dr. Daniel Wong: Can Sunday School Be Transformational?
- Shelly Calcagno: Creatively Partnering with Parents
- Hilary Keachie: Vacation Bible Camp: A week of friendship, laughter and wilderness adventures!
Information and Registration
The conference costs $25 per person with advance registration, or $40 at the door. Click here to register on-line. There is a free children’s program if you need childcare.
For more information about the speakers and the workshops, please click here.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the conference or about the CECE.