In the first three chapters of his letter to the Ephesians, Paul unfolds for his readers God’s eternal purpose. Through Jesus Christ God is creating virtually a new society, even a new humanity.
- What qualities would be evident in this new society? (Ephesians 4:1-7)
- What is the purpose of the different ministries that Christ gives?
- What caused Jesus’ heart to be “moved with pity”? (Matthew 9:35-38)
- Why would he have seen the crowds as appearing “abandoned”?
- Of what value to the psalmist (Psalm 133) is ‘oneness’ among people?
- What can labourers do to bring in ‘the harvest’? What can you do?
- Where have you experienced the sort of unity that the psalmist is looking for?
Food for thought:
Christian unity is more than adherence to a common belief. It is manifested in Christ’s gifts to individuals to serve in ways to make the community more Christ-like.